Über das in Los Angeles beheimatete Institute for Art and Olfaction hatte ich bereits mehrfach berichtet, unter anderem von den Art and Olfaction Awards, die dieses Jahr erstmalig außerhalb der USA, nämlich in Berlin stattfanden. Artikel dazu gibt es schon einige hier im Blog, seht hier.
Nun ist Saskia Wilson-Brown einmal mehr auf Spenden angewiesen für ihre Non-Profit-Organisation – warum, wieso, weshalb? Ich zitiere einfach mal von der Fundraising-Page:
OUR STORY – Join the Institute for Art and Olfaction (IAO) as a donor and help this unique, genre-bending non-profit grow, thrive, and advance our mission for public engagement and artistic experimentation with scent.
WHY IS THE IAO FUNDRAISING? It’s been several years since our last big fundraiser. While we’ve been doing a great job at running this multi-faceted non-profit, we are also coming up on a very busy time! We have so many new exciting programs to plan, all of them big, ambitious, community-oriented, and public-facing. Producing these new programs requires a little extra help.
What’s coming up:
- A documentary film, which we are producing with Luca Turin (ongoing through 2019)
- ‚The Remix Project‘ – an international scent collaboration, with Spyros Drosopoulos (Fall, 2018)
- A month-long programming block about scent cultures in the Middle East and North Africa, with Dana El Masri (May, 2018)
- The 5th annual Art and Olfaction Awards, taking place this year in London (April 21, 2018)
- The 2nd Experimental Scent Summit, with Klara Ravat (April, 2018)
- Our ongoing workshops, classes, talks and public programs…
- And some pretty cool other projects (and expansions), to be announced when the time is right.
This fundraiser will also go towards some more prosaic but necessary things like:
- Non-profit Administration: It’s not very sexy, but the every day administration of a thriving non-profit is the crucial component to getting the more creative things done. Challenges include insurance upgrades, bookeeping, coordinating judging on the 5th annual Art and Olfaction Awards, filling out grant aplications and researching and implementing environmentally-responsible waste disposal.
- Experimental Perfume Lab Space: We need to make some crucial upgrades to the equipment in our public-facing experimental space – including a new lab refrigerator, chairs, library purchases, and light construction.
WHY SUPPORT THE IAO?
The mission of the IAO is to make scent materials and education accessible to the people who have traditionally not had access. We use the lens of scent, but we believe that through scent you can reach many fields – sociology, for instance, not to mention history, chemistry, technology, conceptual art, social justice and much much more.
Experimental transmedia art spaces like the IAO help us all. The IAO does its part by encouraging connections between disparate concepts, by facilitating the exploration of gray areas, by supporting artists and emergent perfumers, and by helping people engage in science, creativity and good old fashioned experimentation.
As a non-profit, we invest back into the community that we serve. Any income we have at the IAO is paid forward into the programs we develop – things like the Artisan Independent and Experimental. Scent Fair with Darin Klein, the Experimental Scent Summit with Klara Ravat, as well as our artists-in-residence, perfumers-in-residence, and – of course – the Art and Olfaction Awards. We wouldn’t have it any other way.
In the past five years, we’ve hosted hundreds of events – many of the free, most of them public – that invited visitors into the wild, woolly world of scent. We did this on site at the IAO, and also in partnership with institutions such as Hammer Museum, Getty Institute, Danish Film Institute, the National Media Museum in the UK, amongst others.
All this, to us, is worth supporting.
I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU PEOPLE ARE!
Allow us to change that.
Here’s our mission: Founded in 2012 in Los Angeles, The Institute for Art and Olfaction is a 501(c)3 non-profit devoted to advancing public, artistic and experimental engagement with scent. We do this by initiating and supporting experimental projects that utilize the medium of scent, by providing accessible and affordable education in our laboratory as well as in partnership with institutions and community groups, and by celebrating excellence in independent, artisan and experimental perfumery through our yearly award mechanism, The Art and Olfaction Awards. Through these efforts, we extend the world of scent beyond its traditional boundaries of appreciation and use.
Here are some articles about our programs:
Wie Ihr wisst, kenne ich Saskia recht gut – Sie macht einen Bombenjob, genauso wie alle anderen Beteiligten. Und deren Mission ist auch unsere, oder nicht?
Die Spendenaktion läuft bis zum 18. August – SPENDEN KANN MAN HIER:.
Das Institute in Chinatown, LA:
Wenn jemand von Euch also ein paar Cents oder Euros übrig hat für einen guten Zweck, der uns alle erfreut …